Why Support Solve ME/CFS Initiative
Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) is the first and only disease organization solely focused on scientific research and advocacy to solve ME/CFS. Our mission is to make ME/CFS widely understood, diagnosable, and treatable. Research comprises the very core of our work. We believe that the best way to serve patients is to solve this debilitating disease by investing in promising research and fostering an environment for scientific collaboration.
As we broaden our research to understand the biological causes of ME/CFS and continue to amplify our advocacy, we ask you to consider a gift to SMCI in support of our work. SMCI relies upon charitable support from individuals with ME/CFS, their family members, and others who understand the devastation of this disease. We are very grateful for your support as we fight for a world free of ME/CFS.
Make An Outright Gift To SMCI
Click here to make a one-time donation in support of our work. If you would prefer to mail a donation, please make your check payable to Solve ME/CFS Initiative and send it to:
5455 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1903
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Recurring monthly credit card donations are a wonderful way to make a meaningful gift to SMCI. Your gift in any amount will have a significant impact on our work.
- A donation of $23 each month will cover the costs to enroll a patient in our ME/CFS BioBank and supports the work of qualified researchers with biological samples.
- A donation of $33 each month will underwrite the cost to host an SMCI webinar featuring ME/CFS thought leaders.
- A donation of $102 each month sends one SMCI representative to advocate before Congress and other federal agencies for increased funding for ME/CFS research.
- A donation of $292 each month will sponsor one Meet Me scientific travel grant, which encourages participation of underrepresented groups in ME-related scientific meetings and helps to expand our research community.
- A donation of $833 each month will fund phase 1 of an SMCI-directed research project.
To make a monthly donation to SMCI by credit card, please click here.
A bequest, the most common way for donors to provide for the future of SMCI, offers several advantages.
You may be able to make a larger gift than otherwise possible, and your estate may save on estate taxes. Planned gifts are also revocable, allowing for changes as needed. You may designate a bequest for a specific purpose or leave it unrestricted. An unrestricted bequest provides general support for SMCI and will allow us to use the gift where it is most needed at the time. You can also make a bequest to SMCI by preparing a new will or revising an existing one. You can provide for SMCI in your will by:
- Making a specific bequest of cash, securities, or other property by designating an exact dollar amount, a particular asset, or a fixed percentage of your estate.
- Making a bequest of all or portions of your residuary estate after it has provided for all other beneficiaries by specific bequests.
- Making SMCI a contingent beneficiary of the estate by stipulating that SMCI will receive all or a portion of the estate if named beneficiaries do not survive you.
- Making SMCI the remainder beneficiary of a trust established in the will to provide income plans previously described or a marital trust that pays all income to a spouse for life.
Sample language to include in a will or in a codicil to a will:
- For an unrestricted bequest: I give (the sum of ______ dollars) or (all or ______ percent of the residuary of my estate) to Solve ME/CFS Initiative of Los Angeles, California, for its general purposes.
- For a restricted bequest: I give (the sum of _____ dollars) or (all or _____ percent of the residuary of my estate) to Solve ME/CFS Initiative of Los Angeles, California, to be used for the following purpose: (state the purpose).
- For the bequest of residuary estate: I give (whatever remains) or (_____ percent of whatever remains) of my estate to Solve ME/CFS Initiative of Los Angeles, California, after all specific bequests have been made and all expenses of administering my estate have been paid.
These descriptions provide general information only. For specific information on your situation, please consult your legal and financial advisors.
Crowdfunding for SMCI
Have you felt motivated to support ME/CFS research and advocacy work, yet lack the financial resources to step up in the way you feel called? You’re not alone! The vast majority of us don’t have the dollars we’d have if we were healthy. And yet, you can contribute from your bed or home by engaging friends and family to support you to fuel the fight. This both educates them and gives them a way to express their care. And you will feel gratified to step up to share in the effort to raise funds for all who suffer with ME.
Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Fundraising through Crowdrise enables you to help raise funds for SMCI by creating your own fundraising page and asking friends and family to contribute. It’s actually pretty easy to do.
You can even create your Crowdrise effort to commemorate a birthday or an anniversary and ask friends to donate to SMCI in your honor.
Click here to see how easy it is to set up your own Crowdrise campaign