The links that are listed under the Government Grants section may take you off the Solve ME/CFS Initiative ‘s site.
Many federal agencies provide funds for medical research, including studies of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The Firstgov.gov website has links to information from most federal agencies. Following are direct links to some of the agencies that fund medical research:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – monitors health, detects and investigates health problems, conducts research to enhance prevention, develops and advocates sound public health policies, implements prevention strategies, promotes healthy behaviors, fosters safe and healthful environments, and provides leadership and training.
Department of Defense – funds medical research on topics that impact the wide range of military personnel, such as veterans of the Persian Gulf war, among whom CFS is three times more common than in the general population.
- For information about grant opportunities, call 301-619-7301.
Department of Education – supports projects with direct relevance to the lives or welfare of persons with disabilities of all ages.
- Department of Education funding opportunities
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services
- National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research
- Rehabilitation Services Administration
Environmental Protection Agency – conducts leading-edge research and fosters the sound use of science and technology in fulfilling EPA’s mission to protect human health and safeguard the environment.
- EPA National Center for Environmental Research grants and fellowship opportunities
Health Resources and Services Administration – directs and funds national health programs that improve the nation’s health by assuring equitable access to comprehensive, quality health care for all.
National Institutes of Health – conducts and supports biomedical research focusing upon the causes, prevention and cure of diseases; supports research training and the development of research resources; and makes use of modern methods to communicate biomedical information.
- NIH grants and funding opportunities
- Pathophysiology and treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
National Science Foundation – funds research and education in science and engineering, through grants, contracts and cooperative agreements.
- NSF overview of grants and awards