What are some of my options for getting an education?

October 18, 2013

The first step is to determine how much school you are able to attend. Then work with your school officials to decide on the best approach for YOU. You have a right to an education and it is protected by two federal laws: the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.*  These laws require schools to adapt their educational programs to meet the needs of disabled students, whether that means adjusting things in the classroom, adapting for part-time attendance, providing a homebound tutor or working with independent study programs. 

“If you are able to go to school part or full time, do it. If going TO school is not possible, the school may be able to provide a home tutor… or you might home-school or try an independent study program.” –Sandy Becker  

“I tried a variety of options before finding the one best suited to me… I like using a correspondence course in conjunction with my public school so that I can work at my own pace and still have opportunities with my school.” –Chelsea Berns  

NICHCY, the National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities, is a great source of information about educational laws and rights. The phone number is 800/695-0285.

“Having CFIDS has stripped me of the ability to do many of the things I love most.”  

~Amber Arbogast
Birthdate: April 8, 1980
CFIDS Onset: February 1997