International Awareness Day for ME/CFS and FibromyalgiaOctober 16, 2016
May 12 – International Awareness Day
for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
There is power in numbers… May 12th Awareness Day is a chance for the millions of patients worldwide who are suffering from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease (ME/CFS/SEID) to be seen and heard! This month we can all work together to increase the volume and raise awareness of ME/CFS/SEID, helping the world to understand the seriousness of this debilitating disease.
On May 12th and throughout the month of May, you can help bring awareness that will set the stage future advancements into making ME/CFS/SEID understood, diagnosable and treatable.
Here are just some of the ways you can participate and some simple tools you can use to help.
- Change your Facebook profile picture to a blue or purple ribbon image from www.may12th.org or to our logo – just grab is from our page here:
- Sign up for our Research1st e-newsletter, then forward to family and friends.
- Share awareness images and basic facts about the illness in your Facebook posts this month and add a bit of your personal story every time you post. You can grab them from below or from the album on Facebook HERE
- “Like” the SMCI Facebook page and share our posts throughout the month, noting how it relates to you and that it is a part of the awareness effort.
- Write to your representative letting them know of the seriousness of ME/CFS/SEID, referencing the IOM report (HERE) and urging them to strongly support any efforts to increase funding for research http://www.contactingthecongress.org/
- Share information from our DC briefing found FOUND HERE
- Dress up! On May 12th, wear blue for ME/CFS/SEID, dye a strip of your hair blue (when people ask why, tell them it is for ME/CFS/SEID awareness), or just get creative!
- Do you blog? Write a blog post about ME/CFS/SEID and how it has affected your life. (Let us know about it so we can share, too!) and when sharing use the hashtag #May12BlogBomb See http://sallyjustme.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/calling-all-bloggers.html for more information
- Create a short 2 minute video about ME/CFS/SEID and your life – make it creative, edgy or funny – then share on YouTube and other social media
- And lastly, use the images we have created and shared here (below) and in our Facebook album – share on Facebook, post to your blog, pin them on Pinterest, print them out and hang them somewhere…